In the first week home we had 3 doctor visits. Considering how much Matthew hated the medical appointment in China, these visits have gone well. He likes his pediatrician...at least he does for now. We will see what happens when they give him his first shot. Matthew being sick has made it easy to cocoon, which is something our adoption agency strongly recommends. They have found that children adjust best when given time to simply be at home, with immediate family only, and maintain a simple daily schedule. We have managed to do this in spite of our busy schedule and Matthew is showing us that this has been best for him.
The second week home I got sick. Then 3 days later, Anna Grace got sick. And that is why this blog has not been updated. It has been an exhausting re-entry but thankfully, we are all healthy now.
The second week home I got sick. Then 3 days later, Anna Grace got sick. And that is why this blog has not been updated. It has been an exhausting re-entry but thankfully, we are all healthy now.
So a little about Matthew--he talks to us in Cantonese all day long. He repeats certain phrases that we have not been able to catch on video. I'm still hoping we can because I'd love to know what he is saying. In spite of speaking a lot of Cantonese, Matthew has not been willing to try much English. He has said some single words with our prompting--"mama, Sarah, Anna, Emily, Lauren, baba(Daddy in Chinese), Dino, bye-bye, thank you, meow, hello, again, and uh oh." They may not be complete sentences but we will take them! I know he's going to start adding to his vocabulary each day and I can't wait to hear him! Matthew has played with blocks, cars, sand, bubbles, trains, balls, and books. He has ridden on Sarah's electric scooter-the faster the better! He has ridden a tricycle and pedaled like a champ! He has played with a lite brite, the ipad, puzzles, and playdough. His play skills are much better than we expected. He has a pretty short attention span but he can play nicely with a variety of things. It is so much fun to watch him figure out a new toy.
Matthew loves to be outside. We have had a few nice days and have ventured out. He enjoys riding the scooter with Daddy or Sarah, swinging with Anna, and kicking a ball. It is a bit challenging to play outside as he can't wear a shoe on his left foot. As the weather gets colder it will be something we have to figure out. But for now, we go outside whenever we have a nice day. For a little boy who had never been outside, he does great. He doesn't seem scared by all the things happening around him, he loves to run, and despite not having a full English vocabulary, he has no trouble letting us know what he wants or doesn't want.
We went to the park last week and Dino took pictures. I wanted to get new pictures of the girls and first pictures of Matthew. One of the rituals he has started each day is pointing to all the girls' pictures as we walk down the steps and having us name them one by one. I wanted to update those pictures and add his! He needs to see himself in that row. I love these pictures. These are some of my favorite! So thankful for this sweet boy. So thankful he is home!
I will never tire of seeing his smile!
LOVE the dimple that appears with a big smile!
Matthew loves to be outside. We have had a few nice days and have ventured out. He enjoys riding the scooter with Daddy or Sarah, swinging with Anna, and kicking a ball. It is a bit challenging to play outside as he can't wear a shoe on his left foot. As the weather gets colder it will be something we have to figure out. But for now, we go outside whenever we have a nice day. For a little boy who had never been outside, he does great. He doesn't seem scared by all the things happening around him, he loves to run, and despite not having a full English vocabulary, he has no trouble letting us know what he wants or doesn't want.
We went to the park last week and Dino took pictures. I wanted to get new pictures of the girls and first pictures of Matthew. One of the rituals he has started each day is pointing to all the girls' pictures as we walk down the steps and having us name them one by one. I wanted to update those pictures and add his! He needs to see himself in that row. I love these pictures. These are some of my favorite! So thankful for this sweet boy. So thankful he is home!
I will never tire of seeing his smile!
LOVE the dimple that appears with a big smile!





oh these pictures bring me to tears! i am SO HAPPY you have loved on him and given him a new future!!!
ReplyDelete